« Back to 100 Years
Chromalox heaters were used in the first commercial nuclear power plant in the United States. The Shippingport Atomic Station, near Pittsburgh, PA, was located just downriver from the Chromalox facility. It first started electrical production in 1957, with the Chromalox heaters being used through the entire 25 year life-span. Chromalox units went on to be standard equipment for the nuclear generating stations built the following decades.