The system under design was a pilot reactor for chemical processing. In order to achieve as many reactions as possible, the customer needed a maximal polyvalence. For this reason, the required characteristics were as follows:
- Wide temperature range
- Possibility to heat and to cool down
- High heating and cooling speed
The use of a heat transfer fluid for temperature regulation in this reactor provided for heating as well as cooling with good temperature homogeneity and excellent regulation quality. To avoid inertia problems that generally occur due to the use of a heat transfer fluid, a TPC generator was used as it provided for a significant decrease in the volume of the fluid.
A 250 kW TPCI generator was designed with the following production requirements considered:
- Heating by inductive current electric tubular heat exchanger: Heating of the heat transfer fluid is done by induction of a low voltage tension inside the thickness of the tubes in which the fluid is circulating.
- Cooling by fluid/cold water or brine exchanger with an exchanger with plates, compact and with a low inner volume.
- Heat transfer fluid used was Therminol 59. This synthetic fluid provides excellent exchange coefficients, even at low temperature. Heating speed and efficiency are comparable to those that would have been obtained with an induction reactor.
- Heating Power: 250 kW
- Cooling Power: 250 kW 150° C
- Temperature: -20°C/ +250° C
- Heating Speed: 1.5° C/min
- Cooling Speed: 1.5° C/min
- Reactor volume: 4,400 liters
- Construction: CODAP 95C coef 0.7